Fort Lauderdale Misdiagnosis Attorneys Provide Essential Support for Complex Cases
The legal help you need when filing a misdiagnosis insurance claim is not enough
When a physician does not conduct appropriate tests or refer patients to appropriate specialists, these actions can result in a misdiagnosis that causes more serious conditions or even death. Although such cases can be challenging to prove, each misdiagnosis lawyer at Fazio DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. has the skills and resources to help protect the rights of their clients under the strict requirements of the Florida medical malpractice laws.
How misdiagnosis can affect patients and their families
Many misdiagnoses result in incorrect treatment or treatment delay, such as the following:
- A broken arm diagnosed as a sprain may need to be re-broken and set after it heals incorrectly.
- A patient who receives the prescription to cure a specific illness can not only fail to recover, but suffer additional illness caused by the medication.
- A child can face lifelong disabilities when doctors misdiagnose symptoms at birth.
- Misdiagnosed cancers can spread, damage vital organs or lead to premature death when the correct treatment is not given in time.
The challenges of proving misdiagnosis
An article published by the American Medical Association in the American Medical News states that diagnostic errors are cited in about 40 percent of U.S. medical liability lawsuits. About one third of these errors result in adverse events, and more than 20 percent result in death.
Surgical errors and other forms of medical negligence typically leave evidence behind to justify medical malpractice claims. Diagnostic errors are less apparent since they often involve errors of thought processes and omission. To establish diagnostic error, attorneys need to prove incidents such as the following:
- The failure of a doctor to perform additional testing after arriving at an initial diagnosis
- Cognitive errors that limit the ability of a physician to look past obvious causes of common symptoms and uncover more serious underlying conditions that require treatment
- Procedural errors, such as might occur when key test results do not make their way to the diagnosing doctor
- Communication errors between doctors that may lead to multiple doctors arriving at the same misdiagnosis
To prove errors like these, the attorneys at Fazio DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. rely on the firm’s more than four decades of experience representing injured victims in these types of claims. We use a network of highly skilled medical professionals to help identify tests and interpret the results. Whether one doctor identifies and treats your condition or many doctors become involved in testing and analysis, the treatment you receive depends on an accurate diagnosis. When misdiagnosis leads to failed or delayed treatment or even the death of a loved one, you have the right to pursue compensation to the full extent of your losses.
Schedule a free consultation to learn how we can help
The board-certified trial lawyers at Fazio DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. have the resources and extensive experience needed to effectively represent clients in misdiagnosis claims. We take calls 24/7, offer flexible hours for a free consultation, and we can meet with you in our convenient downtown office, at home or in the hospital. We take cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees until we win or settle your misdiagnosis case. Contact us online or call us at 954.463.0585 today.