Common Causes of Fort Lauderdale Accidents
Alcohol, distraction and auto defects are among the top factors
Car accidents can be caused by any number of factors, from distractions to speeding to bad weather. Whether an accident was caused by driver error or by a manufacturing defect, it is important that you have a knowledgeable attorney on your side. The personal injury lawyers at Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. are dedicated to giving you the legal help you need after a serious car accident.
The most common causes of car accidents in Florida are:
- Alcohol or drugs. In 2013, there were 5,734 confirmed alcohol-related crashes and 436 confirmed drug-related accidents in Florida. The drunk driving stats show that driving while intoxicated is among the most common causes of accidents in Florida and throughout the country.
- Distraction. Driving while distracted is one of the leading road hazards, especially with the use of cell phones. Texting while driving is so dangerous that it is now illegal in Florida. Despite this law, texting is still a contributing factor in many car accidents.
- Speeding. Excessive speeding contributed to 117 fatal accidents in Florida in 2013. Whether driving over the posted speed limit or driving too fast for conditions, speeding is dangerous.
- Aggression. When a driver speeds, fails to yield, makes unsafe lane changes or commits any other reckless actions, a serious accident can occur.
- Fatigue. A fatigued driver is less aware of their surroundings, has slower reaction times and may even fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Defects. Automotive defects can include tire blowouts, brake defects, ignition problems or any number of hazardous issues that were introduced during vehicle design or manufacture.
- Weather. Driving in poor weather conditions can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced drivers.
Any one of these scenarios is dangerous for any motorist. Our attorneys have the skill and experience necessary to determine the cause of a car accident and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Filing a products liability lawsuit when an automotive defect causes your accident
An accident caused by a vehicle defect can be devastating. You deserve to get justice for the injuries to you or a loved one. However, it is not another driver that you are targeting in a lawsuit. You need to file a product liability claim against the car manufacturer.
Some of the most common auto defects that cause accidents or contribute to injuries include:
- Airbag failing to deploy
- Seatbelts that unbuckle
- Electrical system defects
- Brake failures
- Power steering failures
- Tire blowouts
Lawsuits involving car defects can be complex. If you believe that a defect caused or contributed to your accident, you need an experienced car accident lawyer to fight for your rights.
Contact our Fort Lauderdale accident law firm for a free consultation
After your car accident, a knowledgeable attorney can help you determine who is at fault. To schedule a free initial consultation with an auto accident lawyer at Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A., call 954.416.0124 or contact us online. We take calls 24/7, offer flexible hours for a free consultation, and can meet with you in our convenient downtown office, at home or in the hospital. We take cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees until we win or settle your case.