What You Should Do Following a Car Accident
Our Broward County car crash attorneys understand how to protect your health and legal rights
Car accidents are, by their very nature, chaotic. Emotions run high, people may be injured, property is almost certainly damaged and it all occurs within a matter of seconds. Unfortunately, the seconds, minutes and hours following a car accident present many opportunities for those parties involved in the crash to make irrevocable mistakes — mistakes that can harm their health and their legal rights.
The Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyers at Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. have several pieces of advice for individuals involved in car accidents.
Safety is the primary concern
First, limit the damage. Focus on safety.
- If anyone involved in the car accident has been seriously injured, call 911 immediately.
- For minor accidents with no serious injuries, move all vehicles to the side of the road, or at least out of the way of traffic.
- If a car cannot be moved, everyone in that vehicle should remain inside of it until the authorities arrive, as it is far safer than standing in the road. Set out cones or flares, and turn on all hazard lights.
Gather facts, but do not give opinions
The aftermath of a car accident is a time to listen, not talk.
- Gather the contact information of everyone involved in the incident. Should legal action or an insurance claim arise from the accident, your car accident attorney or insurance agent will need it. Get names, addresses, phone numbers, license plates, driver license numbers and insurance information.
- Photograph the scene. Try to get close-ups of any damage, as well as broader pictures that lend context to the scene.
- Offer no information to anyone regarding who was at fault. Even if you are convinced the accident was your fault, you are not a car accident lawyer. There may be factors relevant to the accident of which you are not aware.
See a doctor, your insurance agent, and a car accident attorney
Our auto accident lawyers recommend that you see professionals in every phase of your accident recovery.
- Always see a doctor following a car accident, even if you do not think you have been injured. Some injuries take days, or even weeks, to present symptoms, and documented medical reports filed as soon after the accident as possible can only serve to help.
- Make sure you know what is covered and what is not covered in your insurance policy — before you get into an accident — and contact your insurer as soon as possible after one has occurred.
- Speak to an experienced car accident lawyer in the area where your accident occurred. In Fort Lauderdale, contact Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A.. Our personal injury lawyers can provide specific information regarding your case, during a free initial consultation.
Our Fort Lauderdale accident attorneys can advise you in the wake of a car crash
The car accident lawyers at Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. understand the numerous ways you can impede your chances of recovering damages following a crash. Let them help you avoid such mistakes following your accident. Contact us today, online or at (954) 416-0124, to set up a consultation.