Fort Lauderdale Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
We handle the details so you can focus on healing
As the main transmitter of information between the body and the brain, the spinal cord is one of the most important parts of the body. Any damage to this delicate structure can dramatically impair the vital functions that affect virtually every aspect of life. If you or a loved one sustains injury to the back or spine, you face extreme pain and loss of mobility over the long term — perhaps for the rest of your life.
When a negligent or violent act of others causes damage to your spinal cord, turn to the Fort Lauderdale spinal cord injury lawyers at Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. We have more than four decades of experience in this complex area of the law and we provide the comprehensive legal support you need to pursue compensation for your injuries.
Types of spinal injuries frequent in Fort Lauderdale
Although medical professionals characterize spinal cord injuries based on the precise location of the damage, WebMD explains that there are two overall types of injuries.
- Complete spinal injury results in permanent loss of motor and nerve function below the point of spinal injury. Individuals with paraplegia retain normal function in their arms and hands and may have some ability to walk by using walkers or other assistive equipment. Tetraplegia is a more complete form of paralysis that also affects the hands and arms and may require assistive devices to breathe.
- Incomplete spinal injury is a more common condition, leaving victims with some combination of movement and feeling loss. The location of the injury largely determines the degree of disability. For example, Anterior Cord Syndrome involves damage to the front of the spinal cord, affecting sensation below the injury point with some degree of future recovery possible, while Brown Sequard Syndrome is an injury to one side of the spinal cord typically causing victims to experience a loss of feeling on one side of the body and movement impairment on the other side.
Common causes of spinal cord and back injuries
Any incident that severs the spinal cord results in the most severe type of damage but injuries involving some form of wrenching movement can cause serious damage as well, such as the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents — Even a relatively minor car accident can cause injury to the spinal area ranging from whiplash, a painful condition that heals over time, to SCI involving a significant degree of paralysis.
- Falls — A wet area on the floor of a grocery store or ice in a parking lot can cause visitors to slip and fall, often resulting in damage to the spine as well as broken bones and head injuries.
- Medical negligence — Surgical error involving the spine or nearby areas can nick or sever the spine, causing severe and permanent damage, which would require a Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorney.
Your options for filing a spinal cord injury claim in Fort Lauderdale
Unfortunately, many accidents that cause spinal cord injuries might have been prevented if someone else had not acted carelessly. In such cases, you need to talk with an experienced injury attorney from Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A..
With most accidents affecting the spinal cord, you face long-term expenses related to this catastrophic injury. In addition to the medical treatment you receive at the time of injury and beyond, you may need extensive therapy, home assistance and psychological care for yourself and your family. At the same time your expenses rise, your ability to earn a living may be reduced or fully eliminated. Our Fort Lauderdale spinal cord injury attorneys carefully assess your situation to determine the best way to approach your case.
Whether you choose to file an insurance claim, pursue an out-of-court settlement or take your case before a jury, you face significant challenges from the opposition as they try to avoid paying extensive costs for your injury. Our detailed preparation in these challenging cases helps provide the ammunition to respond effectively to their assertions. Even if you had a pre-existing back problem prior to the accident, our board-certified trial lawyer protect your rights to pursue the additional damage caused by the negligence of other parties.
Injuries to the spinal cord can have an immediate and permanent effect on every aspect of your life and the lives of your loved ones. When the careless or willful acts of others force you to face these catastrophic injuries, you should not have to pay out of pocket for a lifetime of expenses.
Contact a skilled Fort Lauderdale SCI attorney for a free consultation about your injuries
The dedicated Fort Lauderdale spinal cord injury lawyers at the firm of Fazio, DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. are here to help. Schedule a free consultation in our conveniently-located downtown office or ask us to come to your home or hospital room. We take cases on a contingency fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees until we obtain an award or settlement for your case. Contact us online, or call us at (954) 463-0585 today.