Knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale Surgical Error Lawyers Protect Patient Rights in Complex Malpractice Cases
Board-certified trial attorneys providing essential assistance when filing a claim
At no time is a patient more reliant on medical practitioners than when heading toward the operating room. While there is no guarantee that every surgical procedure will be successful — and tragic outcomes cannot be completely avoided — no patient should have to suffer or die because of preventable surgical error. The lawyers at Fazio DiSalvo & Abers, P.A. are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured patients and families who lose a loved one because of needless surgical errors.
Common surgical mistakes
Many types of surgical errors are completely preventable. In fact, a 2012 report by Johns Hopkins Medicine states that surgical “never events” occur at least 4,000 times per year. The following errors occur often and can be avoided when all members of the surgical team exercise a reasonable degree of care and follow appropriate procedures:
- Surgical mistakes: Surgical errors can cause nerve damage, serious infections, permanent disabilities or fatalities. All too often, families expecting their loved ones to fully recover from a relatively simple procedure find themselves enmeshed in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Wrong-site surgery: A simple verification process prior to surgery can eliminate the possibility of operating on the wrong part of the body or removing healthy organs or limbs.
- Instruments left in patients: When surgeons leave medical equipment inside a patient, the results can range from extreme pain or infections to death. This simple error can be easily prevented by taking an inventory of all surgical items before surgery and before closing the surgical site.
- Anesthesia errors: Anesthesiologists typically perform multiple surgical functions, including preparing patients for surgery, monitoring and reporting on vital signs during a procedure, and, of course, delivering the correct amount of anesthesia to ensure patient safety and freedom from pain. Anesthesia errors can represent the most serious risks to patients, who can die from allergic reactions to anesthesia, medication overdoses or failure by anesthesiologists to report serious changes in the conditions of patients.
- Wrong patient surgery: Even a busy surgical queue is no excuse for operating on the wrong patient — a serious form of medical malpractice that can be prevented with proper operating room verification procedures.
How we help support your case
Any type of surgery exposes patients to certain unavoidable risks. However, when you suffer additional injuries or lose a loved one because a member of the surgical team failed to observe due care, you need support from an injury attorney with extensive experience identifying the surgical errors that caused your damages. At Fazio DiSalvo & Abers, P.A., our attorneys benefit from the knowledge obtained during more than four decades of experience. We enlist medical professionals who conduct reviews of all medical records and other information as well as the analysis of the medical review board legally required to look into the matter. Our thorough analysis helps us effectively advocate on behalf of our clients.
Contact us for a free consultation regarding injuries sustained due to surgical errors
If you believe you suffered injuries or lost a loved one due to avoidable surgical errors, you need to seek immediate, experienced legal support to protect your rights to compensation for your losses. The lawyers at Fazio DiSalvo have extensive experience and resources and full knowledge of the Florida medical malpractice laws needed to help you pursue the compensation you need to pay for all related expenses. We take calls 24/7, offer flexible hours for a free consultation, and we can meet with you in our convenient downtown office, at home or in the hospital. We take cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees until we win or settle your case. Contact us online, or call us at 954.416.0124 today.